PU foot bed replacment?

Available at retail Vans locations.
Tampawafflehead
UTPL Sergeant
UTPL Sergeant

PU foot bed replacment?

Post by Tampawafflehead »

Allllright sooo i figured I'd pick another random question I've always had. PU footbeds, love em!! GR's despise em!! Grrrrr at gr! Lol anyways I recently ripped the whole foot bed out of several older GR authentics ( which btw was harder than I thought it would be!! That foam just doesn't want to come clean off the innards) and tried to put a PU footbed from both a chukka low and a era into them, both didn't work. They both added to much hight to the heel and my heel would just pop right out of em. Sooo I guess my questions are these drop in's model specific? I.E. are there different sizes or shapes to em? It seems like it should have worked at least with the era one, also any ideas besides shaving off some of the foam to make the gr stuff wearable? IMO some of the GR colorways are just as good as vault or Cali stuff but I just can't wear em except around the house cuz I don't want heel bruises from walking the dog lol
Oh and they should sell replacment ones at least on the web site if not in store, I know I'd buy em to refresh an older one or just to not mess up a cool one from a syndicate or vault model.
http://spacesavers.tumblr.com/
Wtb new or lightly used well loved vans in sz10
in4mation HC's and pendelton taka native print hi's
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Re: PU foot bed replacment?

Post by DJGuamstyles »

I've tried doing that with some Cons CTS's. I took out the padded insole from the CTS, and tried putting it into a GR Chuck Taylor, and the same shit happened...I felt like I was wearing a house slipper! I guess the PU footbeds may have different heights to them, depending on the model. You can always Dr. Scholl them bitches up! I've done that as well, and they feel okay. A lot of the guys on here take the surf soles, out of the E-Streets, or Ratas, or any other Surf Vans because they're slimmer than the Pro soles. Umm, also the newer Gel inserts that are being used on the GR Zero Lo's are a little bit slimmer I think. Experiment with those.

On another note, I took an old GR Mountain Edition, with the thin GR footbed, and I threw in a pair of Vault PU footbeds on top of it, and wow that is the way to go, if you can fit your foot in it! Trust me, your foot will thank you! (Spoken like a true salesman).
Tampawafflehead
UTPL Sergeant
UTPL Sergeant

Post by Tampawafflehead »

Haha thanks man! I will deff try some after market insoles, did u slide these over the exsisting or remove the glued in one? While we're on the topic, I had a pair of black Cali herringbone authentics and they had a footbed I haven't seen before or since but I also don't own but 2 other Cali's, but have looked over a good bit at places, they had a doctor shoals like blue Perforated gel sandwiched in the foam.. Most comfortable shoes I've ever worn.. How come there's soo many different footbeds in the Cali line?! Haha I like em all this so I don't really care, I actually like em more than the PU because they seem to mold to ur foot where the PU seems to keep it shape better, which makes since if ur jumping down stairs or taking impact.. Btw that impact zorb in the new ones rocks!!
http://spacesavers.tumblr.com/
Wtb new or lightly used well loved vans in sz10
in4mation HC's and pendelton taka native print hi's
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

If I was using the Dr. Scholls or Surf insoles, it was probably on a pair that already had a removable one, but the shoe was too tight. I've never attempted to rip out the GR footbed, for the same reason of what you encountered...they're glued in. Those gel inserts on your CA model is what I was referencing when I was talking about the GR Zero Lo's. The Syndicates didn't have that removable liner, but the GRs did! And subsequently, the CA line, and some of the newer Syndicates have them, like the Greg Hunts.