8FIVE2 x Vans Syndicate Versa Mid

Vans' Core-Skater line.
MF HectoOR
UTPL Colonel
UTPL Colonel

8FIVE2 x Vans Syndicate Versa Mid

Post by MF HectoOR »

8FIVE2 has become both an institution and a pioneer in the Southeast Asian skate community. In 2009, the brand celebrated its 10th anniversary helped in part by a Vans collaboration based on an all-black leather Chukka Low. A year and a half later, Vans and 8FIVE2 once again join forces this time working on a clean and minimalistic Vans Syndicate model titled the Versa Mid. While inline versions have taken a more simple route, 8FIVE2 adds some special touches warranted by the collaboration including a soft leather toecap in white to contrast against the black waxed canvas body. Despite the aesthetics of a vulcanized sole, the shoe is a cupsole design and is available for purchase as of June 1 exclusively through 8FIVE2. We caught up with 8FIVE2 owner Brian Siswojo and asked him a few questions regarding the recent collaboration with Vans and the brand’s influence on skateboarding in Asia.

After your first collaboration with Vans back in 2009, what did you want to do differently this time around?
This time we decided to take vulcanized, cupsole-looking shoes and totally deconstruct them. We chose to use black canvas with a white leather toe cap since we believe it’s something that you don’t see a lot of in Vans’ footwear collections.

And why did you pick the Versa Mid “S”?
Well, we had originally decided on the Versa but I really wanted it to be deconstructed; no padding, just straight canvas shoes. So Jay Potocar (Syndicate Director) suggested that we do the Versa Mid ‘S’. I didn’t even know it was going to be a Syndicate collaboration until we received the shoes. No joke. We’re so honored and surprised, thank you to Jay Potocar and the crew at Vans USA for sure.

Can you describe the design or theme of the shoe?
We just wanted to do something that was simple but yet still different from the rest of Vans’ footwear. So we designed a shoe that easily matches your day to day outfit, allowing you to rock them when you you’re just cruising around town with your skateboard but also so you can look fifteen percent better wearing them out with your date at night.

The Versa Mid “S” embodies a vulcanized aesthetic with a cupsole construction, but at the end of the day…cupsole vs. vulcanized?
Let’s put it this way, vulcanized is perfect for the first 10 days but then it dies out and the soles flatten. Cupsole, on the other hand, can be rocked for months and still feel comfortable. But I love footwear so much that I really just like them all.

You’ve taken it upon yourself to advance the sport of skateboarding, what are your thoughts on the role you’ve taken?
I’ve been skateboarding since 1988 and it’s become a part of my life. When I started out back in 1988 there weren’t very many skateboarders around so I always wanted all of my friends or the people that I knew to start skateboarding so they could really get to know the best positive addiction known to men. It’s just organic how it all happened. I’m so blessed and lucky to have the opportunity to be the president of AHKSA (All Hong Kong Skateboards Association) and together with our crew (Warren, Lee Hawk, etc.) we push skateboarding to another level and try to work closely with the Hong Kong government so that future skateboarders can have it easier here.

With China becoming increasingly big into action sports, how will this spillover into the rest of the region?
Right now, we’ve just started to work closely with skateboarders in China but Warren and I are in the process of something big for skateboarding in Asia. Wait and see.
http://vimeo.com/25793500

via Hypebeast
MF HectoOR
sz 9.5-10.5

Shoes For Sale [Updated 04.23.12]
Filson Slip On sz.9
Looking to Buy/Trade [Updated 04.23.12] - Looking for NECKFACE & Taka Hayashi's
OTWS Feedback
NSB Feedback
ISS/SC Feedback
Crimson Ghost
UTPL General
UTPL General

Re: 8FIVE2 x Vans Syndicate Versa Mid

Post by Crimson Ghost »

Im feelin the idea, but the toecap is waay too big, they look like clown shoes.
daewond3r
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by daewond3r »

^ I thought the same thing at first, but I think with the right outfit, these could look pretty classy.
@bythedaesend (twitter + instagram)
Wanted:
Vans x in4mation Chukka Low size 10 DS/VNDS
Vans x Supreme Old Skool S/S '11 grey/purple size 10 DS/VNDS
Vans Era 45 Fixed Gear (any color) size 10 DS/VNDS
Vans Syndicate x Usugrow set 10 DS/VNDS

**Supreme/Syndicate/Proper/In4mation+more** sz 9.5-10.5
wolfstrice09
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by wolfstrice09 »

I wanted to say the same thing Dae… I think these can work with the right fit. Seriously thinking about getting these!
sz12
Stoopz
UTPL Captain
UTPL Captain

Post by Stoopz »

I thought the same thing about the Rudeez when I saw them, but I ended up loving them.

I was already postering on picking up some of the other Syndicates of these, but I need these for sure.
size11.5
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

They're up for sale on the 852 site, and they now have the shipping opened up to US customers. The downside is, the shoes are $135 + $25 shipping...which is $160 for some Versa Mids. Hmm, I dunno, they're like double the price of the Versa Mid "S" regulars. They do have the cool inner lining, in the hibiscus floral print that they used on the Chukka Lows, but I'm second guessing getting them now, hehe. So much other shit coming out, that these are definitely on the back burner for me. Anyways, here's the link if you wanna cop: http://8five2.com/index.php?main_page=p ... ts_id=1439

Also, check out more pics of the kicks, on their blog: http://www.8five2.com/blogs/0001/2011/0 ... 2nd-shoes/
silokinesis
UTPL Major
UTPL Major

Post by silokinesis »

the quality of leather on the toecap looks amazing.... definitely think after a few days of getting beat around they would mellow out a bit contrast wise. Very exciting to see 8five2 work with the "s" crew.
Silo. authorized vans syndicate dealer -current release available via http://shop.silostore.com! Or PM for previous releases...
wolfstrice09
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by wolfstrice09 »

I didnt know that was a leather toecap... didnt care to read. I do like the shoe but dont know about this one. Like Guam said these are spendy! But 8FIVE2 and Syndicate is super tempting.
sz12
silokinesis
UTPL Major
UTPL Major

Post by silokinesis »

Did they announce anywhere the qty that was produced?
Silo. authorized vans syndicate dealer -current release available via http://shop.silostore.com! Or PM for previous releases...
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

Nope, no production numbers. These are definitely a dope exclusive Syndicate shoe, and I have the 852 Chukka Lows, so these are right up my alley as far as collecting goes, but damn, the timing is not right. I'm anticipating the Syndicate hats & tees, and I just droppd $200+ on some Nike Retro foamposites. Plus, I need to try and get the Kobe x Koston 1s, and Space Jam Dunks, and I'm sure there's gonna be some other surprise releases that I will want. It sucks!