Vans changed the color on navy authentics?

Available at retail Vans locations.
mac1
UTPL Private

Vans changed the color on navy authentics?

Post by mac1 »

Why in the world would they do this? The new version is a much deeper/darker blue and the sole is now a very light brown. Does anyone know where i can cop a pair of the old ones? They're seemingly impossible to find...
Here are some pics so you can see exactly what i mean, the difference in color is pretty distinct, i like the old color better.
I bought my old vans like 3 years ago, things sure did change ? :-/

48waffle
UTPL Sergeant
UTPL Sergeant

Re: Vans changed the color on navy authentics?

Post by 48waffle »

mac1 wrote:Why in the world would they do this? The new version is a much deeper/darker blue and the sole is now a very light brown. Does anyone know where i can cop a pair of the old ones? They're seemingly impossible to find...
Here are some pics so you can see exactly what i mean, the difference in color is pretty distinct, i like the old color better.

When vans makes the shoes they do it in batches, so some times the dye may be darker or lighter depending on the batch.
Size 10-10.5
Looking for : sk8 hi or era OG Palm Leaf in black or white
Carhartt Old Skool any color
mac1
UTPL Private

Post by mac1 »

48waffle wrote:When vans makes the shoes they do it in batches, so some times the dye may be darker or lighter depending on the batch.
Well just how big are these "batches"? cause i see everybody wearing the ugly colored ones and they're in every store too. So i don't think they simply screwed up on some of them, i think they just changed the color for good which is f'ed up. I really liked those shoes :-(
akamedaniel
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by akamedaniel »

Im sure the age had a role in the coloration of the right shoe.
Sz 12
WANTED:
- Vault Leather & Flannel SK8-Hi (Brown)
- Supreme Checkerboard & Corduroy Authentic (Blue, Green, or Red)
- Syndicate Carhartt WIP Old Skool (Brown, Camo or Black) *Size 11.5
- Syndicate Mister Cartoon Authentic (Any Color)
- Vault Cuerpo LX (Monks Robe)
- Vault x Taka Hayashi x Billy Kirk SK8-Hi
All size 12 DS//VNDS//NDS
$$$$$$$
Music City
UTPL Captain
UTPL Captain

Post by Music City »

akamedaniel wrote:Im sure the age had a role in the coloration of the right shoe.
^^^^ The sun and ground you walk on has a lot to do with what your shoes look like. I can guarantee you that Vans still uses the exact same dye for the Navy that they always have.
mac1
UTPL Private

Post by mac1 »

Nah my old vans definitely had that same color from day one... and no amount of wear can do that to a rubber sole unless i stepped in brown paint :-P
Also it's not like i wore them every single day for 3 years, so it's really doubtful.
Maybe i just got an odd pair back then, i'm definitely not feeling the "true" color of these, so i'll probably switch to blk/wht :-/
rocketgoof
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by rocketgoof »

Vans soles are a variety of shades of brown. It really just depends on the batch and where they are made. Don't get hung up on that, nobody's seeing it anyway! However, wear and oxidation can start to change the sole color as well.

And 3 years of wear... The sun will definitely fade 'em a little bit. Granted, yours might have been a slightly different color series than the traditional blue. The only real way to tell is if you still have the original box to see what color they have it labeled and compare it to what they say on the newer pair.

Just start wearing the new pair or set 'em out in the sun and they'll start to fade. They're canvas, so they're going to fade no matter how much you resist. I've got pairs of Vans that have faded more on the toe than on the collar and heel since my pants will cover it up. Fading occurs more than you might realize.
Hello, my name is Kyle and I'm addicted to Vans. I'm a size 9.5 or 10.

Looking for Supreme Disruptive Era's (any color, but especially teal), Supreme dark teal pebbled leather chukka, navy GR Zero Lo's...

@IAmRocketKyle on the instagramz.
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

This is a GR colorway, so it's reproduced time and time again, each and every year. It's totally possible that the canvas shade might be a little different, but it's hard to compare them to a shoe that isn't absolutely deadstock brand new, and unworn. We all have faded Vans, and the elements can cause it for sure. I have one of those shoe caddys hanging on the back of my bedroom door, and they're exposed to the dry a/c air in the house, and I have a pair of my Syndicate Mid Skools on there, and the glue is turning yellow, so they're definitely absorbing a lot of oxygen, drying out, and fading and changing color. Vans changing up their soles is no secret to us, and it all comes down to the natural resources available. They might even be cutting the product down, and mixing it with some other synthetic product, to save cost. That's the biggest difference when you see fake shoes out there. They use shitty rubber, with less carbon in it, because it's cheaper. I think that's what Nike SB was doing this last year or two, with their "speckled soles", and the "faux gum rubber". Less carbon also equals a shinier, harder sole. Payless shit.
rocketgoof
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by rocketgoof »

I could be way off cuz I don't follow Nike SB regularly, but I do know some of Nike's speckled soles come from recycling shoe soles, grinding them up and adding them to the mix. They also donate rubber from shoes to be used on tracks. But that's neither here nor there... Could be old and outdated information, too.

/uselessinfo haha

But yeah, just general changes in manufacturing can change the appearance of shoes. Don't get too hung up on it, wear 'em, beat 'em, love 'em, or find a new pair to love!
Hello, my name is Kyle and I'm addicted to Vans. I'm a size 9.5 or 10.

Looking for Supreme Disruptive Era's (any color, but especially teal), Supreme dark teal pebbled leather chukka, navy GR Zero Lo's...

@IAmRocketKyle on the instagramz.
mrbeetee
UTPL Sergeant
UTPL Sergeant

Post by mrbeetee »

mac1 wrote:Why in the world would they do this? The new version is a much deeper/darker blue and the sole is now a very light brown. Does anyone know where i can cop a pair of the old ones? They're seemingly impossible to find...

What strange you not mentioned the Vans logo on the insole is on the wrong direction
wolfstrice09
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by wolfstrice09 »

The change in color usually has to do with what country the shoe was made in most the time. As you all know Vans uses multiple countries to make their shoes.
sz12
silokinesis
UTPL Major
UTPL Major

Post by silokinesis »

^ agreed. we just had some red authentics in that are like blood red, so bright...some may say "husker" red, as I'm from Nebraska....and the releases before that, and for about 2 years actually, was more of a pink/red. So the dye ingredients don't necessarily change, but the lot / results can vary slightly.
Silo. authorized vans syndicate dealer -current release available via http://shop.silostore.com! Or PM for previous releases...