Customs Q&A

Custom shoe artist's creations.
Crimson Ghost
UTPL General
UTPL General

Customs Q&A

Post by Crimson Ghost »

I thought it would be a good idea to start this thread and even better to stick it :)

So my question is:
I'm planning to customize my first Vans and I don't want to buy expensive automatic sewing awl.
Is this awl good too?
Desp1
UTPL Private

Re: Customs Q&A

Post by Desp1 »

Crimson Ghost wrote:I thought it would be a good idea to start this thread and even better to stick it :)

So my question is:
I'm planning to customize my first Vans and I don't want to buy expensive automatic sewing awl.
Is this awl good too?
Yea thats a sewing awl, this type of awl is used to manufacture dress shoes mainly to work on the sole. You should not use this exact awl to customize the upper of shoes because it leaves holes that are way too big. You can get a similar awl but with a thinner needle. I would really suggest getting a sewing awl because it has interchangeable needles and is easier to use because it has a bobbin with thread in it so it will be easier to keep the thread steady. here is a link to the store that sells sewing awl, check it out, they have good prices. Their awl only costs $12.00us plus shipping.
http://awlforall.com/merchant2/awlproducts.html
F&F Web Store
F&F Blogspot
F&F Facebook
F&F Ebay
MIGHT TAKE YOUR CUSTOM SNEAKER ORDER
Crimson Ghost
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by Crimson Ghost »

Cool, thanks. Which extra needles do I have to buy? And I will be needing white and red threads - how thick threads should I get? For replacing original Vans Old Skool stitching.
Desp1
UTPL Private

Post by Desp1 »

Crimson Ghost wrote:Cool, thanks. Which extra needles do I have to buy? And I will be needing white and red threads - how thick threads should I get? For replacing original Vans Old Skool stitching.
To match the stitching on the Vans and other shoes you will need T70 upholstery thread here is a link to the online store that sells large spools in many colors: http://www.rochfordsupply.com/product_l ... dID_E_3124
remember that the stitching on the upper of the SK8 Hi and the toe cap is a bit larger in size so you will need T90 thread to do those areas.

And you will need to purchase #2 Extra Fine needles to match the diameter or the holes in the shoes.
I usually buy like 9 needles (3 packs of 3 needles each pack) just to make sure i have enough in case they break.

Also the thread sold on the awl for all website is only good for midsole stitching, it is too thick to do any stitching on the upper of the shoes.

Hope this helps, once again you can hit up Hush's blog to get all the info for material you need and so forth to customize a pair of Vans.
F&F Web Store
F&F Blogspot
F&F Facebook
F&F Ebay
rocketgoof
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by rocketgoof »

Man, I've been waiting for a thread like this forever. Always thought there shoudl've been one on the old OTW site! Glad you guys started it up.

Any recommendations on paint for customizing designs?
Hello, my name is Kyle and I'm addicted to Vans. I'm a size 9.5 or 10.

Looking for Supreme Disruptive Era's (any color, but especially teal), Supreme dark teal pebbled leather chukka, navy GR Zero Lo's...

@IAmRocketKyle on the instagramz.
Desp1
UTPL Private

Post by Desp1 »

rocketgoof wrote:Man, I've been waiting for a thread like this forever. Always thought there shoudl've been one on the old OTW site! Glad you guys started it up.

Any recommendations on paint for customizing designs?
Well it depends what you plan on painting. If you would like to paint leather then you need Angelus Leather Acrylic paint, its the best for customizing leather sneaker, its colorfast, waterproof,and does not crack, peel or chip. Angelus seeps into the leather so it actually bonds chemically and becomes a part of the leather. But that only happens if the paint is applied right and is given time to fully cure and dry.

If you would like to paint Canvas then you can use any fabric acrylic paint, use thin coats and let dry fully. The best fabric paint i used was called Speedball screen print paint, it is a bit thick so i use to use fabric medium to water it down a bit so it becomes more liquid then thick if that makes sense. Plus the fabric medium will only increase its flexibility and permanency. Once again make sure to use thin coats so the paint fully bonds with the material and cures.

If you would like to paint suede then the only thing you can use is Angelus suede dye. Suede is hard to work with as the dye is really hard to apply especially if you are new to using it. Another thing that sux with dye is that there is no possible way to dye a dark color suede to a light color. The only thing you can do is dye light colors to dark.

Hope this helps you out.
F&F Web Store
F&F Blogspot
F&F Facebook
F&F Ebay
theMenace
UTPL Private

Post by theMenace »

nice thread! ill be sure to help with whatever i can
Crimson Ghost
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by Crimson Ghost »

Could someone make that logo in higher resolution, black and white color? I couldn't fine neither similar font nor same Hosoi Skates logo.
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/7518/img2619a.jpg

I give up
http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/3600/beznazwy1xl.png
Crimson Ghost
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by Crimson Ghost »

^ lil help? ;)