Urgent: We need to come up with a new name for OTWS asap!!!

Post suggestions as to what would help out this forum
acoustic_rancid
UTPL Captain
UTPL Captain

Re: Urgent: We need to come up with a new name for OTWS asa

Post by acoustic_rancid »

YOU'RE FROM GUAM?!?!

With that out of the way, I personally like the idea of eschewing the direct reference altogether. We had some solid names above, but you know, I think having something ambiguous is pretty cool. Interpret it how you like, we're al under the palms. Speaking directly to the vans element, we all have different angles on collecting, different focuses, passions, despite the commonalities. The whole culture, it's how we make it, and I think having a name that is open to interpretation, that isn't so upfront, with some symbolism to it, that's what we're about, what we represent. That's solid. It's the right way to go.

Plus, ain't nothin there that's going to be a problem for you, legality-wise.

Good on ya, Guam.
mackiv
UTPL Major
UTPL Major

Post by mackiv »

Being Jamaican and Californian, I can dig it right away.
MacKIV on instagram
Sz 12-13

wut'chu got fo sale in my size?
ALSO LOOKIN FOR HOSOI RISING SUN SLIP-ON SZ 12-13
JesseC
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by JesseC »

That's so sensical and much more timeless, I like where you're going with it. There's style to it.

When saying out loud the previous ideas, the "waffle" in the name sounded stupid and too exclusive to me. You're spot on with the "waffle this, waffle that" view.
I don't care about the ideas I posted, I actually don't like them the more I think of them, and they don't feel right. It's like a try-hard website name. However, I don't think this new name is quite right.. I guess since I don't live in cali and since I'm not an islander, I feel like this name fails to encompass the whole of our members the way the original name did. I feel that I'm a die hard collector, and this name doesn't feel like something I'm a part of. It feels exclusive to.. Islanders. Maybe I stand alone with that opinion, and that's okay. I just thought I'd share.

I really like the flow of it and the originality, it reminds me of cool website names like othersideofthepillow. I agree that we shouldn't be so attached to Vans and their identiy, since we are not Vans. I think we can best our previous name if we all come together.

Hopefully I'm not stepping on your toes Bill.
Looking to buy:
.Blends Sk8 Hi in black, 8-9.5 would be accepted. If anyone here has a pair I will trade serious heat for them.
.007 Grime Slip On's (Claw, not the Skull version)
Will pay healthy prices for these. Shoot me a PM.
Vandol
UTPL Major
UTPL Major

Post by Vandol »

Just saw the update now, I was talking to Ryan about it at the btnc show and he explained different meanings
about the new name. I think its dope, honestly "Timeless" was something I wanted to hear and "Under the palms "
is a great name that is worded really nicely. It has that "chill factor". Im glad we turned away from the other Vansy names, this way
we put our names on the map. :?: :?: :?:

JesseC I think Its just another way of looking at it. That was just one factor that came to mind with the thought process. Since the name
is so universal so many things come to mind
9.5-10.5
SYNICATE
005 Era
006 Sk8-Hi/ Era
015 Sk8-Mid Black
018 Era
IG: @mikeythirty
FS:1
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

I'm glad to see that y'all are showing acceptance of it, and even Jesse, don't think of it as some sort of islander brand at all. I was blurting out my thoughts in my head, and I was just stoked that something I helped create can also have an extra special meaning to me. I may never come up with any Islander type gear, but at least the name is there if I wanted to dabble in it. Even for me, I still keep referring to us as OTWS, and that will continue to happen for awhile, and on the real, when I try to pull up the new name in my memory, I sometimes draw a blank, because it hasn't fully sunk in yet. Mikey has this great insight about him, in finding the words that I can't, and "chill factor" was that word. All yesterday, and this morning, all I thought about over and over in my head was "Under The Palms". The name. The saying. The look of the sentence. How it will appear in typeset. I'm settling into it, and starting to get comfortable with it. "Offthewallsite and OTWS" were fucking dope words and letters to rep on product, but they were never ours to begin with. Break ups suck, but sometimes you have to do it, to move forward, no matter how dope things were in the past. At least we all have something, whether it's in gear, hats, accessories, etc. that we can hold on to as a keepsake. If you don't, well, hit me up. I still got random stuff laying around. The best thing, is that all of our supporters, and friends, are down with us doing this, and want to see us succeed. Some have said they could possibly do a collab tee, or an event, or what not, to help get us going again. I want to try and make it as seamless as possible, but I want to give the followers some sort of a heads up that things are changing soon. I just want to do it in an official way. I need to write up the story in the best way possible, praising Vans, and praising us, and all the other cool fuckers out there that are down with us! So fucking glad that y'all got my back with this idea. We bout to "Voltron" this shit!

-Guam
JesseC
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by JesseC »

No doubt, it's a great name and I feel where you're coming from. I've been thinking about it more today and it is setting in. I'm optimistic about the change with this name.
Looking to buy:
.Blends Sk8 Hi in black, 8-9.5 would be accepted. If anyone here has a pair I will trade serious heat for them.
.007 Grime Slip On's (Claw, not the Skull version)
Will pay healthy prices for these. Shoot me a PM.
MF HectoOR
UTPL Colonel
UTPL Colonel

Post by MF HectoOR »

damn just got back on to read through all this. Under the Palms sounds legit. +1 here to support and push!
MF HectoOR
sz 9.5-10.5

Shoes For Sale [Updated 04.23.12]
Filson Slip On sz.9
Looking to Buy/Trade [Updated 04.23.12] - Looking for NECKFACE & Taka Hayashi's
OTWS Feedback
NSB Feedback
ISS/SC Feedback
48waffle
UTPL Sergeant
UTPL Sergeant

Post by 48waffle »

Same what Hector said, just read all the post and Under The Palms stands out. Got my vote bill

Damn I might have to change my profile name now ....reading all those "Waffle" names got old quick.. Lol
Size 10-10.5
Looking for : sk8 hi or era OG Palm Leaf in black or white
Carhartt Old Skool any color
Vandol
UTPL Major
UTPL Major

Post by Vandol »

everyone copied you for the new name all good hah^^
9.5-10.5
SYNICATE
005 Era
006 Sk8-Hi/ Era
015 Sk8-Mid Black
018 Era
IG: @mikeythirty
FS:1
akamedaniel
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by akamedaniel »

I just can't wait for some Palm Tees! 8-)
Sz 12
WANTED:
- Vault Leather & Flannel SK8-Hi (Brown)
- Supreme Checkerboard & Corduroy Authentic (Blue, Green, or Red)
- Syndicate Carhartt WIP Old Skool (Brown, Camo or Black) *Size 11.5
- Syndicate Mister Cartoon Authentic (Any Color)
- Vault Cuerpo LX (Monks Robe)
- Vault x Taka Hayashi x Billy Kirk SK8-Hi
All size 12 DS//VNDS//NDS
$$$$$$$
48waffle
UTPL Sergeant
UTPL Sergeant

Post by 48waffle »

+1 Navy
Size 10-10.5
Looking for : sk8 hi or era OG Palm Leaf in black or white
Carhartt Old Skool any color
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

Hehe as soon as we get an official logo. For now, I'm still using the same font as before. I kinda like it, and nobody else really uses it, but who knows, perhaps incorporate a palm into the letter "T" in the word? Or two palm trees crossing each other, sorta like In-N-Out, but not really. If anyone feels inspired, feel free to come up with stuff. I'm just glad that the transition was damn near seamless for the site, and accompanying IG and Twitter. The hardest part is remembering the site name is underthepalmTREES.com and not underthepalms.com lol.
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

DJGuamstyles wrote:...The hardest part is remembering the site name is underthepalmTREES.com and not underthepalms.com lol.
See what I mean? I mean underthepalmLEAVES.com :lol: :lol: :lol:
acoustic_rancid
UTPL Captain
UTPL Captain

Post by acoustic_rancid »

DJGuamstyles wrote:Hehe as soon as we get an official logo. For now, I'm still using the same font as before. I kinda like it, and nobody else really uses it, but who knows, perhaps incorporate a palm into the letter "T" in the word? Or two palm trees crossing each other, sorta like In-N-Out, but not really. If anyone feels inspired, feel free to come up with stuff. I'm just glad that the transition was damn near seamless for the site, and accompanying IG and Twitter. The hardest part is remembering the site name is underthepalmTREES.com and not underthepalms.com lol.
Uh oh. Here we go again! :lol:
rocketgoof
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by rocketgoof »

All this time I was thinking it was "Underthepalms.com" due to the image and the way it's stated in the announcements… haha
Hello, my name is Kyle and I'm addicted to Vans. I'm a size 9.5 or 10.

Looking for Supreme Disruptive Era's (any color, but especially teal), Supreme dark teal pebbled leather chukka, navy GR Zero Lo's...

@IAmRocketKyle on the instagramz.