iPhone 4

Phones, TVs, iPods, etc.
skorone
UTPL Major
UTPL Major

Re: iPhone 4

Post by skorone »

werkz wrote:yeah sucks. 2gb for $20 not all that bad though. Not like you gonna use up 2gb

Honestly have no idea how much i use, just like the idea of unlimited and not having to worry about going over. I use my browser on my phone a lot, plus hella emails and sending pics to family and videos . Pointless stuff but i was happy with 30 dollars unlimited.
...TEAM OTWS...

skorone.wordpress.com

RIP DSYFR
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

More info popped up about the Verizon iPhone! Take it for what it's worth, but Verizon iPhone info has been around since the original iPhone has came out. The story is here: http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-20009198-266.html?tag=TOCmoreStories.0

Here's the copy and pasted article:

"Verizon Wireless customers who have been holding out for an iPhone on their carrier's network may finally get their wish early next year, according to Bloomberg News.

The wire service reported on Tuesday that Verizon Wireless will start selling Apple's iPhone in January. Bloomberg cited unnamed sources familiar with the plans. The deal, if true, would end AT&T's exclusive contract for the iPhone in the U.S. since its launch in 2007.

AT&T and Verizon Wireless representatives declined to comment on the latest rumors.

Neither AT&T nor Apple has ever disclosed the length of the exclusive contract AT&T has for the iPhone. But speculation of an impending Verizon iPhone have popped up periodically since the iPhone's runaway success began in 2007. It's been reported that Verizon originally turned down the exclusive rights to offer the phone due to unappealing demands from Apple.

AT&T's network troubles caused by the flood of data traffic created by the iPhone has only exacerbated the demand for a Verizon iPhone.

"If Verizon had the iPhone, I'd find a way to cancel my AT&T service today," said Dave Norfleet-Vilaro, a loyal iPhone subscriber who stood in line early Tuesday morning at an AT&T store to get the iPhone 4. "It's just ironic that I am waiting at an AT&T store where I've received the worst customer service."

Even though Verizon executives have never come out publicly and said the company will eventually offer the iPhone, they have indicated they'd be happy to have the device on their network. And as the largest U.S. carrier, it's a no-brainer that Apple would look to strike a deal with Verizon Wireless once exclusivity ends with AT&T.

It's almost certain that there will be an iPhone for Verizon's network. But the question is when. Despite Bloomberg's report, I believe the new device won't be available in January. It is more likely to be available later in 2011. Here is why.

The biggest reason is that Apple is likely developing a 4G iPhone for Verizon's new network. Not only is that network not yet commercially available, but there are still no products built that can use it.

Verizon is still building and testing the 4G network that uses a technology called LTE or Long Term Evolution. The company says it will be ready to launch the service in 25 to 30 markets by the end of the year. But my guess is that this network will launch toward the end of 2010.

Initially, the network will probably launch with 4G data stick products that fit into laptops. Smartphones that use the 4G network will likely not be available until at least the second half of 2011.

"Based on what we know from some early LTE deployments...availability of LTE chips is still limited," said Lars Johnsson, a vice president of marketing and business development for Beceem, which makes integrated WiMax/LTE 4G chipsets. "Verizon will launch its LTE network later this year. And we will have to see what that means when it happens. But what we've heard from people in the market is that power consumption is still very high for LTE. And the technology still needs to mature. It takes time to work out the kinks."

Chipmakers typically make chipsets for data sticks first, and it takes about a year for manufacturers to get smartphone chips that integrate 3G and 4G services on the market. Considering that 4G LTE data sticks aren't even available yet, it is highly unlikely that Apple could have a 4G iPhone ready for Verizon's network in January.

Of course, Apple may announce a Verizon 4G iPhone in January. The company has been known to make big announcements in January with the actual product launch months later. For example, the original iPhone and iPad were each announced in January, and the devices hit store shelves later that year.

Regardless of when it happens, the iPhone on Verizon will be a big deal. Some AT&T customers who are fed up with AT&T's sluggish 3G performance and dropped calls say they are ready to defect to Verizon Wireless. And many Verizon customers who have been waiting for the AT&T exclusivity contract to end have been biding their time unwilling to give up their service on Verizon for the iPhone. "
FTHATIMFAMOUS
UTPL Colonel
UTPL Colonel

Post by FTHATIMFAMOUS »

I have never had any major problems with AT&Ts service, I've been with them for almost 10 years now, and other than a few dropped calls here and there I cant complain. Back when everyone had a Sidekick I had friends that would cut in and out of service, while I would be fine on my network. I also know alot of people that have gone to AT&T from Verizon just for the iPhone, and they rarely complain about any issues.

I've had my iPhone since the launch in 07, I actually traded Blue Supreme high, and Medicom 1 for it at DunkXchange. I was totally going to sell it until I played with it, then I knew I had to have it, I never bought the 3G, because it didnt really matter to me, I didnt see a significant improvement over the iPhone. Then I went to Vegas the day after the 3GS came out, made some money playing craps, ate lunch next to the Apple store and came home with a 3GS. Exactly one year later I came back to Vegas and I lost my 3GS, I think I left it at the craps table. funny how that works. So I was iPhoneless for about a week until I was able to get my hands on an iPhone 4. Life with out an iPhone SUCKS!
FTHATIMFAMOUS
-SoCal
-Size 9, 9.5
-Vouch
-Listing
-Wanted
-Blog
-Twitter

DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

I want one when it comes to Verizon. Hope it happens.
FTHATIMFAMOUS
UTPL Colonel
UTPL Colonel

Post by FTHATIMFAMOUS »

I guess I've been fortunate enough to have it kind of just fall into my lap, but I'm not the kind of guy that would get his hopes up about something like that. I AT&T will sign very many new contracts due to them not offering unlimited data anymore, I'm grandfathered in, as are most other people, but in the future it could hurt over all sales, and if they arent selling then that means apple isnt selling, and apple will go to the money. I see it happening eventually.
FTHATIMFAMOUS
-SoCal
-Size 9, 9.5
-Vouch
-Listing
-Wanted
-Blog
-Twitter

DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

Crossing my fingers that tomorrow's Verizon news conference is in regards to the iPhone :P

Patiently waiting. Anyone wanna weigh in on this, like if it's a good idea to upgrade to it? The smart thing is to wait for a re-release of it, or an updated firmware version, or something like that, because I'm sure there's gonna be some bugs to work out. My Blackberry is pretty stable for the most part, and the newer ones have better cameras now, which I really care about, but hmm...I'm getting bitten by the technology bug again!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704739504576068170230339348.html
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

It's official!
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/iphone.jsp

I'm too lazy to take a screenshot. It's easier to take a pic with my crappy phone, and blog it, and just link to that pic. But not for long. iPhone has significantly better pic capabilities than this cheapy BBCurve camera.
5150marley
UTPL Major
UTPL Major

Post by 5150marley »

I have Verizon Billy.... I wouldnt switch from my HTC Incredible to the iPhone if I got one for free.

Just dont like the build and signal problems with it...
"The past is frozen ,the future is vapor. The moment is liquid" -unknown

-Size 8.5 (old skools) or 9 (for anything mid or Half Cab styles)... 8 (for slip-ons)
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

Yeah true, there's other better phones out there, but the iPhone is the one to have. Phone SWAG! jk
MF HectoOR
UTPL Colonel
UTPL Colonel

Post by MF HectoOR »

I wonder what the pricing is going to be like for plans. Contract up and my family and I are in the market searching.
MF HectoOR
sz 9.5-10.5

Shoes For Sale [Updated 04.23.12]
Filson Slip On sz.9
Looking to Buy/Trade [Updated 04.23.12] - Looking for NECKFACE & Taka Hayashi's
OTWS Feedback
NSB Feedback
ISS/SC Feedback
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

$199.99 just like AT&T. Existing Verizon customers can preorder as well, in early February.
MF HectoOR
UTPL Colonel
UTPL Colonel

Post by MF HectoOR »

oh not the price of hte phone but the actual plans like 2 year contracts, unlimited texting, data plan. Guess I'll wait till it realeases and compare prices
MF HectoOR
sz 9.5-10.5

Shoes For Sale [Updated 04.23.12]
Filson Slip On sz.9
Looking to Buy/Trade [Updated 04.23.12] - Looking for NECKFACE & Taka Hayashi's
OTWS Feedback
NSB Feedback
ISS/SC Feedback
Stoopz
UTPL Captain
UTPL Captain

Post by Stoopz »

I've worked on app development across the board. This has put tons of smart phones in my hands over the last year or so - OS (Edge, 3GS, 4), Blackberry (Curve, Bold, Storm, 88xx, & 89xx series), Android (too many to mention, but recently the Droid X and EVO 4)...it's all matter of preference. I prefer the iPhone and have been a user since the first Edge phone came out. It was the best when it came out and I feel that it still continues to be the best with the iPhone 4. For me, it's the operating system. Although not as fast as some of the others, the usability of OS completely functions how I would want something to work if I was to design it myself. Blackberrys OS is garbage and the usability of the phone can be like a labrynth. Android gets better and better and will always impress, but certian things just don't make sense.

I get a great discount through my company and have been with At&T for over 10 years. I think out of my 500 minutes a month plan I have, I use on average 30 minutes. Who the fuck calls anybody any more? I don't care about the voice network as long as the data stays extremely robust! Hahaha.
size11.5
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

Cool. My homie is in the cel phone app business too. He basically reformats/rewrites code for video, so it is compatible across different OS platforms. Nerdy shit right there! And yeah, my Blackberry OS is hard to find certain things. I always forget where certain settings are located. It's nice having a physical keyboard, but after thinking about it, I'm thinking about waiting until the next gen VZW iPhone, when they finally get it up on their 4G network. This one will only work on the 3G network, and the AT&T one is already 4G, right? I don't wanna get locked into a 2 year contract, with an outdated phone. That was probably Verizon's way of throwing all the Droid phones a bone, until this beast is FULLY let out of it's cage. By then, who knows...maybe the next gen will multitask, talk and browse, videochat on 4G and not just WiFi, etc. This first release is for all the dumb consumers out there who don't ever look ahead, and I'm not dumb, but that doesn't mean I don't give in to the hype sometimes. Knowing Apple, the next gen will be right around the corner, like next year. How often does a new iPhone come out? It'll be in no time.
Stoopz
UTPL Captain
UTPL Captain

Post by Stoopz »

DJGuamstyles wrote:Cool. My homie is in the cel phone app business too. He basically reformats/rewrites code for video, so it is compatible across different OS platforms. Nerdy shit right there! And yeah, my Blackberry OS is hard to find certain things. I always forget where certain settings are located. It's nice having a physical keyboard, but after thinking about it, I'm thinking about waiting until the next gen VZW iPhone, when they finally get it up on their 4G network. This one will only work on the 3G network, and the AT&T one is already 4G, right? I don't wanna get locked into a 2 year contract, with an outdated phone. That was probably Verizon's way of throwing all the Droid phones a bone, until this beast is FULLY let out of it's cage. By then, who knows...maybe the next gen will multitask, talk and browse, videochat on 4G and not just WiFi, etc. This first release is for all the dumb consumers out there who don't ever look ahead, and I'm not dumb, but that doesn't mean I don't give in to the hype sometimes. Knowing Apple, the next gen will be right around the corner, like next year. How often does a new iPhone come out? It'll be in no time.

Glad to hear your taking that into consideration, because if I was going to switch to Verizon, I definetly wouldn't do it right off the bat. Apple will enevitably release a new version of the iPhone as they have for the last 3 years in June or July (can't remember which one it is right now). Just like they will most likely announce a new iPad next month. Yesterday was a Verizon announcement, not Apple.

I don't think they are going to announce a new iPhone, but it will be the 4 most likely with more capabilities...and possibly 4G compatibility. Neither the new Verizon or the current AT&T phones are 4G phones, the both will run off the 3G network. Verizon has a fairly established metropolitan LTE 4G network and so does AT&T, but if you're not in Chicago, New York, Silicon Valley, or Vegas...a few other areas, you're going to be running a 4G phone on a 3G network. It will be at least a couple years before both networks have 4G networks that will allow most of the country to enjoy the 4G capabilites.
size11.5