How-To: Restoring yellowed soles with Sea Glow

Custom shoe artist's creations.
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Re: How-To: Restoring yellowed soles with Sea Glow

Post by DJGuamstyles »

chukkaboot wrote:I bought my jj sk8 hi's for 150 too one shoe has minor yellowing I might try this...

Did you end up using the whole bottle of sea glow?

Nope, maybe like 1/4th or 1/3rd.
chukkaboot
UTPL Captain
UTPL Captain

Post by chukkaboot »

Nice! I should have extra to do my mj sk8 hi's then!
chukkaboot
UTPL Captain
UTPL Captain

Post by chukkaboot »

Here we go. Only the outside of the left shoe has discoloration. the inside of the left shoe looks brand new and so does the right side. I'm going to wait until I have a full day off to watch the effects of the sea glow.

The Jason markk cleaner has already cleared up most of the surface oxidation
The only thing I'm worried about is the toe bumper. But I do expect the mid sole to look brand new by the end of the process.
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

Reposting in here!:

Your yellowing is still minor, so most of it should come out. Don't be alarmed when you start scrubbing the sea glow on the black foxingstripe, because it will look like it's starting to come off, but it's just oxidation in the rubber. You won't damage it. And on the white parts, just scrub the sea glow in, and then use a microfiber rag to wipe away all the milky stuff, and then reapply a clean coat of sea glow with your fingers, and let them sit in the sun for a few hrs., then bring them back in the house (I do it at my bathroom sink), and wipe off the sun treated sea glow with the same rag, and then put more sea glow on the sole, and scrub away again, and after a few treatments in the sun, then wipe off as much as you can, and then use the jason markk to clean them. Your rubber will be slightly sticky, but that's good. It means the sea glow is embedded into the rubber now. That's how it restores your rubber. Have fun, and try to take before and after shots, or do one shoe at a time, if they're both yellow!
chukkaboot
UTPL Captain
UTPL Captain

Post by chukkaboot »

This is after only 3 hours in the sun and cleaned with Jason markk

I think I can probably get it a little bit whiter. But we'll see

Compared to the last pic I posted
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

Nice, I can already see the minor difference. Are you using a green or brown scouring pad to scrub in the sea glow? That's the biggest difference maker.
LuisBLDV
UTPL Private

Post by LuisBLDV »

I want to try this out on my Undftd x Vans Sk8-HiS but I'm concerned with the graphics on the midsoles. :/
LuisBLDV
Size 12
IG: luisbldv
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

Yeah, I think the scrubbing may take off the screen-printed graphics.
Derek
UTPL Captain
UTPL Captain

Post by Derek »

DJGuamstyles wrote:Reposting in here!:

Your yellowing is still minor, so most of it should come out. Don't be alarmed when you start scrubbing the sea glow on the black foxingstripe, because it will look like it's starting to come off, but it's just oxidation in the rubber. You won't damage it. And on the white parts, just scrub the sea glow in, and then use a microfiber rag to wipe away all the milky stuff, and then reapply a clean coat of sea glow with your fingers, and let them sit in the sun for a few hrs., then bring them back in the house (I do it at my bathroom sink), and wipe off the sun treated sea glow with the same rag, and then put more sea glow on the sole, and scrub away again, and after a few treatments in the sun, then wipe off as much as you can, and then use the jason markk to clean them. Your rubber will be slightly sticky, but that's good. It means the sea glow is embedded into the rubber now. That's how it restores your rubber. Have fun, and try to take before and after shots, or do one shoe at a time, if they're both yellow!
i have something coming in the mail that i plan to sea glow, but i wanted to ask about this "sticky" stuff. does it come off easily or can it be removed at all?
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

It's like a conditioner, that embeds into the rubber yet is still a little sticky. You can remove most of it with shoe cleaner, but not all of it.
JesseC
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by JesseC »

Guam, would you ever accept payment for this process? I don't live in consistent enough conditions to apply the stuff and wait. I'm sure you're busy with your own stuff but next time I have some yellowed soles, I'd definitely be willing to pay you to do this to something of mine.
Looking to buy:
.Blends Sk8 Hi in black, 8-9.5 would be accepted. If anyone here has a pair I will trade serious heat for them.
.007 Grime Slip On's (Claw, not the Skull version)
Will pay healthy prices for these. Shoot me a PM.
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

Hmm...maybe. It's not a fun process, and it is long and drawn out for the most part. Also, it depends how yellowed your soles are.
JesseC
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by JesseC »

I completely understand that. I'd use my descretion on the severity of the yellowing to decide whether or not it'd be something you'd want to do. but, if it was not so bad, and the upper was easy to work with, you'd entertain the thought?
Looking to buy:
.Blends Sk8 Hi in black, 8-9.5 would be accepted. If anyone here has a pair I will trade serious heat for them.
.007 Grime Slip On's (Claw, not the Skull version)
Will pay healthy prices for these. Shoot me a PM.
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

Yeah man, sure
Chrstphr
UTPL Private

Post by Chrstphr »

I definitely need to get sea glow