OTWS HOODIE #1 - BONES AND PIRATES

Anything clothing related
tdk
UTPL Private

OTWS HOODIE #1 - BONES AND PIRATES

Post by tdk »

Hey there,

The first OTWS hoodie is coming to you :]

Final version will look like this (with or without my tag, I'm still thinking about it)

Some older pictures from development process:

And also some very alpha version sketches :))

● The idea

Well, the concept was to get modern pirate flag look and combine it somehow with skating culture, so there are classic crossbones with skull and windrose on chest. The bones is also an obvious follow up to one of the best Vans collabo, Vans x WTAPS.

● Some technical details

I will be printing on some nice quality 280g/m2 hoodies. Because idea of this design floats around pirate flag called Jolly Roger and pirates themself I will stay only with white on black version of hoodie, if you show my design support I might think about releasing burgundy version of hoodie to match with your dubtaps , well, the name Jolly Roger came from french word joli rouge which mean "pretty red" sooo that might also work.

● European exclusive

Well, because I'm from Europe and I know how much shipping cost outside my continent I do not plan to shipp them abroad, so sorry people from USA, right now the only US resident who will get that hoodie is Guam himself ; ) But stay focused, because i'm not saying that selling those in USA isn't possible, you just won't get european crafted versions : )

● Okay man, shut up and tell me when I can get these beauties?!

Well, I should get my sample hoodie in next week, so I will surely provide some nice quality photos and well, it depend of how much people will be interested in these hoodies we will see, I plan to release them before end of October.
Last edited by tdk on Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:36 am, edited 4 times in total.
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Re: OTWS HOODIE #1 - BONES AND PIRATES

Post by DJGuamstyles »

Sup guys, not to cause any confusion or anything, but tdk hit me up, asking me if he could print up a hoodie for himself, to represent OTWS. As I've always stated before, I always welcome you all to design stuff for us, (or for one's self in this case). This is solely his design, and he can offer it up to any of you who are feeling it. I suggested that he make a thread for it, to get some honest feedback, and some suggestions on what to change. It seems like tdk is pretty set on his design, but as you can see in some of his earlier designs, I was HIGHLY recommending that he doesn't use the Vans skateboard logo, that I modified awhile back, with the OTWS logo inside, out of pure respect for Vans. I've since not been on the nose about designs directly related to Vans' trademarks, such as the skateboard, the jazz stripe, and so on. Checkerboards are okay, because it's not a copyrightable design. I will provide him the newly standardized "OTWS" font, for his hoodie, to make it somewhat congruent to OTWS, but if you have any opinions or ideas, then let's hear it. Thoughts on rules or methods for making something for us? If they make a 3XL in Europe, then I will surely take one of these OTWS hoodies. I want any and everything related to us, even if I can't wear it, such as the Arkiv "burgundy bones" tee! I framed it!
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

As far as this design goes, here's my public opinion on it:

I like the skull graphic on the back. Not sure where it comes from, but it's different than what we've offered up before...which is pretty easy to do right now, with what...3-4 designs under our belt? The chest hit "compass" is confusing. The maltese cross in your drawing would probably be more fitting to the back design. Maybe it's too hardcore for some of you on here? It does show that we are not just made up of "streetwear" enthusiasts on here, which is a direct result of Vans being the most popular and recognized cross-culture sneaker.

tdk: make it edgy. Give it some more attitude. Get rid of the compass! That's my opinion.
TychoBrohe
UTPL Private

Post by TychoBrohe »

Damn! This is pretty cool. I wish you did ship to US.
tdk
UTPL Private

Post by tdk »

TychoBrohe wrote:Damn! This is pretty cool. I wish you did ship to US.
Shipping from Europe cost about 30-40USD so it would be craaay- to waste all that money for postal service.

BUT

as Guam and I spoke before, I might just send him necessary files and he will print some hoodies by himself to provide them to you US citizens, of course it wouldn't contain some exclusives like european cotton, stickers and some more special gadgets I will add to your order, but it's a surprise : ))

Also, the final design will have new OTWS logo provided by DJGuamstyles, I already have files I need.

Stay tuned.
crisone
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by crisone »

tdk....cool design.

My honest opinion.....

Back logo, keep what you have going on, maybe bring down the Skull-head closer to the Cross-bones, the gap in between is quite big....for balance, make it the same spacing as the "OTWS", or if its too low, bring out the "OTWS", just as long spacing on both is the same, other than that, it's cool dude.

Front design, the compass is cool, but a good balance would be that it should have something similar to the back or vice-versa,

Shipping, offer worldwide, if people like it, they'll pay, to "for-sure" worldwide customers, offer a pre-pay.

Cris.
IG: @crisone
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

Yeah man, offer it up for sale, and if people like it, they'll buy it.
tdk
UTPL Private

Post by tdk »

More about hoodies:

Sample hoodie will be printed next week, I hope.

First post updated.

I'm still waiting for feedback from you guys, is here anyone who will be getting these hoodies when they drop out?
JesseC
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by JesseC »

Really want one here in the US!
Looking to buy:
.Blends Sk8 Hi in black, 8-9.5 would be accepted. If anyone here has a pair I will trade serious heat for them.
.007 Grime Slip On's (Claw, not the Skull version)
Will pay healthy prices for these. Shoot me a PM.
tdk
UTPL Private

Post by tdk »

JesseC wrote:Really want one here in the US!
Thanks for feedback, right now I strongly consider shipping them to US, actually it would be possible for about 20 bucks via international postal service, I'm still looking and thinking how to make it work perfectly.

Also, @Guam - as far as I know it's possible to get hoodie in 3XL, but I'm not sure if it wouldn't cost more because of size of a print.

Some other project, I think of replacing chest windrose with this logo, what's your opinion? Or maybe just print it on t-shirt as something new?

sample:

What do you think?
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

Kinda cool, but too close to Crisone's crossbones design in my opinion. More originality will go a long way. You've got some good ideas, but you can't do it the same way as an older design.
tdk
UTPL Private

Post by tdk »

DJGuamstyles wrote:too close to Crisone's crossbones design in my opinion.
Oh, I get it. You are joking. Cross with letters around is one of the most popular themes in designing, it's like calling cars with 4 wheels not very original.
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

OK, but the size and the placement of the letters is what makes this one look way too similar. Don't you want it to look like it has nothing in common with our other tee? Try to go in the opposite direction of the OTWS crossbones tee. I'm sorry bro, it's just that I'm used to being around designers who don't want to copy someone else's work, unless that's the whole idea, to make a parody, or flip on someone else's design. Anyone else reading this, want to maybe try and explain it another way?
tdk
UTPL Private

Post by tdk »

DJGuamstyles wrote:OK, but the size and the placement of the letters is what makes this one look way too similar. Don't you want it to look like it has nothing in common with our other tee? Try to go in the opposite direction of the OTWS crossbones tee. I'm sorry bro, it's just that I'm used to being around designers who don't want to copy someone else's work, unless that's the whole idea, to make a parody, or flip on someone else's design. Anyone else reading this, want to maybe try and explain it another way?

Okay, thanks for opinion. However, I will make my designs like I see them, I hope you don't mind.
tdk
UTPL Private

Post by tdk »

Sorry for not updating this thread. I was very busy.

However, i'm thinking of making hoodie simpler - how about just chest logo in front?