How-to: Converting FREE USPS 1095 boxes to fit shoe boxes

Anything goes...put on your flame suit!
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

How-to: Converting FREE USPS 1095 boxes to fit shoe boxes

Post by DJGuamstyles »

*This will only be sticky'd until we get the marketplace up, and I can find a proper place to put it*

Here's a little write up I made about how to modify the free USPS Priority Mail boxes, so that they fit a normal size shoe box. This can be done on any of the long mailer boxes that the US Post Office makes. Just remember, you have to pay for USPS Priority mail rates, which is the only way I ship shoes anyways. Saturday delivery FTW. I can't take credit for this helpful tip, cause supposedly a lot of people already know how to do this, but it's great info for all of us. The homie Rainier "TheCoolShoeShine aka Footage in Brea" showed me how to do this, so I am giving him credit. I recently had a bad shipping experience, where the shipper sent me a pair of shoes in just the original shoe box, with a shipping label, and tape all over it. Better yet, it was a pair of Yeezy's! I'm embarassed to show these pics, but I want to help stop this nonsense. There's no excuse for shipping any shoes this way. It's just straight up disrespectful. You can check my feedback for that member who ships stuff out this way.

Here's my experience:

...and this is what you all should do. BTW the Yeezy's will fit in the larger box, that the USPS also makes, but this is the one I wanted to use as my example, because it's going to be the more common one used by all of you.

step 1
get the style 1095 box, for free from the post office, or USPS.com, and mark the edges, on the opposite side, of the pre-creased edge of the box. Remember, we are shortening the width, and lengthening the height.
https://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10052&productId=10000247&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10000002&top_category=10000002&categoryId=10000033&top=&currentPage=2&sort=&viewAll=N&rn=CategoriesDisplay&WT.ac=10000247.

step2
This is how the box normally looks, but after making a crease with some scissors, or a ruler’s edge, where I drew a perforated line, and snipping the uncut edge, to the same depth as the opposite side, that was already there, you will be able to fold the box on this new edge. In the next pic you’ll see what I mean.

step3
See how it pops up, by folding on both of the new edges that you creased? By the way, I forgot to mention that this creasing needs to be done on both sides of the flat box, that you saw before. Duh, it is a box after all.

step4
A pair of sz12 SB Blazers fits nicely in there, with some room still. Most shoe boxes will fit.

step5
…and if your creases are precisely even, you will be able to fold up the box like normal, edge to edge, and even utilize the adhesive that is already attached to the box. Always use packaging tape after. In fact, USPS provides free packaging tape, like the one that was liberally used all over my Yeezy box.
Last edited by DJGuamstyles on Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
skorone
UTPL Major
UTPL Major

Re: How-to: Converting FREE USPS 1095 boxes to fit shoe boxe

Post by skorone »

haha good shit Guam , i thought i was the only one whom did that . Never bought a shipping box in my life. If the box does not fit i just cut them up and tape 2 together so they do . Even made a shipping box outta a Huggies/Pampers boxes once, dude said it made him smile when he received it .
...TEAM OTWS...

skorone.wordpress.com

RIP DSYFR
RSRL
UTPL Private

Post by RSRL »

THIS IS GOOD STUFF, haha i really didnt know about this.
mr.jack
UTPL Private

Post by mr.jack »

i always do this but i didn't know there was an easy way of doing it.. thanks!!
WANTED ALL COLORWAYS IN SZ 8.5:VANS SUPREME ARI'S..VAULT DEL BARCO'S..WTAPS..SUPREME BRUINS..YEEZY'S..
Steeze
UTPL Private

Post by Steeze »

i actually flip the box inside out too
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

Flipping the box inside out used to be an easy way, but now days, USPS prints priority mail on the inside of all their boxes. Just save your boxes that people send you shoes in. Well, at least the ones that are still reusable.
Portugal.
UTPL Captain
UTPL Captain

Post by Portugal. »

i have your post in the yeezy thead with this info saved to my favorites
Saved me some cash on boxes

GOOD STUFF GUAM

Looking For These in Sizes 9-11. PM if Selling at a Good Price:
-Vans Wtaps
-Vans Syndicates
-Vans Rick Griffin E-Street
rocketgoof
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by rocketgoof »

I did this today and they charged me extra for modifying the box... Ended up being $2.70 more than if I'd just used a regular box and about $1.50 more than the medium size priority mail rate would have been. I guess I just got a stickler for the rules at my post office! Lamesauce.
Hello, my name is Kyle and I'm addicted to Vans. I'm a size 9.5 or 10.

Looking for Supreme Disruptive Era's (any color, but especially teal), Supreme dark teal pebbled leather chukka, navy GR Zero Lo's...

@IAmRocketKyle on the instagramz.
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

Start printing out your labels from home. SIgn up with USPS, or just use paypal to print your labels. You can even have your USPS guy pick up the packages from your door step. My USPS man and I are cool. He drops off packages all the time, and he knows I buy n sell shoes. Maybe he allows me to get away with little details like box modifying, but the bigger picture is that we are STILL USING USPS Priority Mail!!! Why your Post office worker did that, is not clear, but say you used your own box, which was your own sized box? Then what? It can still be shipped as USPS. I never drop off my packages to the counter either. I use the drop box. They probably see my stuff, and just say "fuck it, it's less hassle to try and track me down, and whatnot. Fuck the Post Office, the majority of them are on some kind of power trip. I don't get it.
rocketgoof
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by rocketgoof »

Hmm, that's true... I just always figured if something was wrong, it would get sent back to me or end up lost somewhere, rather than them just sending it out anyway. Honestly, I don't get why modifying the box should make it any higher rate... The volume of the box is exactly the same, no matter how you shape it, so it shouldn't matter.
Hello, my name is Kyle and I'm addicted to Vans. I'm a size 9.5 or 10.

Looking for Supreme Disruptive Era's (any color, but especially teal), Supreme dark teal pebbled leather chukka, navy GR Zero Lo's...

@IAmRocketKyle on the instagramz.
average joe
UTPL Private

Post by average joe »

goood looks very useful
MF HectoOR
UTPL Colonel
UTPL Colonel

Post by MF HectoOR »

Some one shipping to me in the past with a usps box that was inside out and the postman said I had to pay a dollar something cause of that or they can ship it back to the sender and ask him for the extra charge.
MF HectoOR
sz 9.5-10.5

Shoes For Sale [Updated 04.23.12]
Filson Slip On sz.9
Looking to Buy/Trade [Updated 04.23.12] - Looking for NECKFACE & Taka Hayashi's
OTWS Feedback
NSB Feedback
ISS/SC Feedback
FTHATIMFAMOUS
UTPL Colonel
UTPL Colonel

Post by FTHATIMFAMOUS »

Hahaha. Sounds like the mailmans mom forgot to give him lunch money.
FTHATIMFAMOUS
-SoCal
-Size 9, 9.5
-Vouch
-Listing
-Wanted
-Blog
-Twitter

MF HectoOR
UTPL Colonel
UTPL Colonel

Post by MF HectoOR »

lol well he didn't ship priority so i think thats why they needed that extra charge.
MF HectoOR
sz 9.5-10.5

Shoes For Sale [Updated 04.23.12]
Filson Slip On sz.9
Looking to Buy/Trade [Updated 04.23.12] - Looking for NECKFACE & Taka Hayashi's
OTWS Feedback
NSB Feedback
ISS/SC Feedback
DJGuamstyles
UTPL General
UTPL General

Post by DJGuamstyles »

Is he allowed to collect that, himself? I would ask him to send a bill. I would also call in, or go down to the Post Office, and ask to speak witha manager about that one, hehe.